Posted by RLPA
Seven potential debutants in Kangaroos squad
The Australian Rugby League Commission has named seven potential debutants in the Kangaroos squad for the 2016 Four Nations tournament.
The 24-man squad to play in the Four Nations in the UK against England, New Zealand and Scotland contains seven potential Kangaroos debutants – Shannon Boyd, Jake Friend, Tyson Frizell, Valentine Holmes, James Maloney, Matt Moylan and Justin O’Neill.
The squad for the October 15 Test match against New Zealand at Perth’s nib Stadium will come from the 24 players named today, and will be confirmed early next week.
“This is a new era for the Kangaroos and the squad which has been selected for the Four Nations tournament reflects that,” Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga said.
“This squad has been selected for the present, but with an eye to the future.
“It is extremely heartening to see the players buy in and the quality of the players available highlights that.
“We have very experienced Test players as well as some outstanding young players who have big futures in the green and gold.”
NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the selectors had been informed that both Semi Radradra and Andrew Fifita were not eligible for selection for the tournament.
The Australian Four Nations squad will depart for Perth this Sunday (9 October), farewelled at a special Kangaroos reunion at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
The 2016 Kangaroos squad is:
- Darius Boyd Brisbane Broncos
- Shannon Boyd Canberra Raiders
- Boyd Cordner Sydney Roosters
- Cooper Cronk Melbourne Storm
- Josh Dugan St George Illawarra Dragons
- Blake Ferguson Sydney Roosters
- Jake Friend Sydney Roosters
- Tyson Frizell St George Illawarra Dragons
- Matt Gillett Brisbane Broncos
- Valentine Holmes Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
- Greg Inglis South Sydney Rabbitohs
- David Klemmer Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
- James Maloney Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
- Josh Mansour Penrith Panthers
- Trent Merrin Penrith Panthers
- Michael Morgan North Queensland Cowboys
- Matt Moylan Penrith Panthers
- Justin O’Neill North Queensland Cowboys
- Josh Papalii Canberra Raiders
- Matt Scott North Queensland Cowboys
- Cameron Smith (c) Melbourne Storm
- Sam Thaiday Brisbane Broncos
- Johnathan Thurston North Queensland Cowboys
- Aaron Woods Wests Tigers
Photo: Fresh from a Permiership win with the Sharks, James Maloney has been named in the squad for a potential Kangaroos debut (nrlphotos.com)