Posted by RLPA
Dragons and Storm meet in opening round
The NRL have released the 2016 Telstra Premiership schedule on Friday, which sees the St George Illawarra Dragons open the season against the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park, Melbourne on Monday, March 7.
The Dragons first home match of the season will see us host the South Sydney Rabbitohs in a Round 3 blockbuster fixture at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday, March 20.
This Sunday afternoon feature game (4.00pm) will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Dragons achieving the world-record 11 consecutive Premierships between 1956 and 1966, one of the most significant achievements in the history of Australian sport.
“All the staff and players have been just as eager as our Red V Members and fans to get a look at what our draw looks like for 2016,” said Dragons Head Coach Paul McGregor.
“Today’s release provides us with the opportunity to get a little more specific with our planning and the staff are on it straight away, particularly given all the travel at the front end of the season”.
“With respect to our draw, coaches are never going to be totally happy with things like turn-around times and placement of Bye Rounds amongst other things, but I understand that there are many variables that need to be taken into consideration and respect that the process is complex and that those involved are working to get the best outcomes all round.
“I am really excited about the season ahead as I am sure our Red V Members and fans are too and we are looking forward to having that passionate Dragons support wherever we play in 2016.”
The 2016 schedule features key Dragons home fixtures as some of the biggest events on the NRL calendar once again, including:
- The traditional ANZAC Day clash against the Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium, Moore Park in Round 8
- A Public Holiday blockbuster against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park in Round 14 on the Queens Birthday long weekend
- Two home games against both defending Premiers the North Queensland Cowboys and Grand Finalists the Brisbane Broncos at WIN Stadium, Wollongong in Rounds 12 and 22 respectively
- The local derby home game against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah in Round 23
The Dragons will play four home games at WIN Stadium, Wollongong:
- Round 4 v Penrith Panthers on Sunday afternoon, March 27 (4.00pm)
- Round 12 v North Queensland Cowboys on Saturday night, May 28 (7.30pm)
- Round 15 v Melbourne Storm on Saturday night , June 18 (7.30pm)
- Round 22 v Brisbane Broncos on the weekend of August 5- 8
The Dragons four home games at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah are:
- Round 10 v Canberra Raiders on Thursday night, May 12 (7.50pm)
- Round 19 v Gold Coast Titans on Friday night, July 15 (7.50pm)
- Round 23 v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks on the weekend of August 11-15
- Round 26 v Newcastle Knights on the weekend of September 1-4
The Dragons continue to support the Whole of Game Strategy, Right Game Right Venue, which was implemented in 2014 to provide a platform for economic enhancement and growth capability at the Club.
The Dragons will play four home games at major Sydney venues under the Right Game Right Venue strategy in 2016, which are:
- Round 3 v South Sydney Rabbitohs at Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday afternoon, March 20 (4.00pm)
- Round 8 v Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium, Moore Park on Anzac Day Monday, April 25 (4.00pm)
- Round 14 v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park on Monday afternoon, June 13 (4.00pm)
- Round 20 v Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park on Sunday afternoon, July 24 (4.00pm)
For the complete schedule and more news from the Dragons visit their website