Posted by RLPA
Contenders revealed for 2023 Players’ Champion (NRL)
The Rugby League Players’ Association is pleased to announce the Contenders for 2023 The Players’ Champion award, outlining the four players from each NRL team who are eligible for the prestigious individual honour.
The Players’ Champion award winners (NRL and NRLW) will be announced during Channel 9’s Grand Final coverage on October 1.
Past recipients Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers), Kalyn Ponga (Newcastle Knights), and three-time and reigning Champion James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters) feature on the impressive Contenders list.
The Players’ Awards also include a Rookie of the Year, a Dream Team, and the Dennis Tutty Award for both NRL and NRLW players. The 40 Contenders from the NRLW competition will be announced on September 12.
About The Players’ Champion voting:
- The Contenders’ list is made up of four players from each club who are nominated to be eligible for The Players’ Champion individual award.
- RLPA Delegates put forward three Contenders from their own teams before an RLPA Working Group nominates a fourth and final player from each team.
- In total, 68 players are then eligible to receive Players’ Champion votes in the end-of-season poll.
- Voting is open to all contracted NRL players, with each player selecting opposition Contenders using a 3/2/1 format. Players cannot vote for their teammates.
- Players are not penalised for any suspensions and/or fines received during the course of the season.
- The player with the most number of votes across all teams is awarded The Players’ Champion.
All The Players’ Awards will be announced on Channel 9 on the following dates:
- September 17: Dennis Tutty Award (NRL & NRLW)
- September 19: Players’ Dream Team (NRL)
- September 21: Players’ Champion Finalists (NRL & NRLW)
- September 24: Players’ Rookie of the Year (NRL & NRLW)
- September 28: Players’ Dream Team (NRLW)
- October 1: The Players’ Champion (NRL & NRLW)
The 68 Contenders for The Players’ Champion (NRL):
Jack De Belin